December 27, 2018
Here are some tips for leveraging social media to get faster service on your next trip:
- Use Twitter. This is where airlines typically put most of their attention. It’s also where you can expect the fastest response.
- Try private messaging. Most customer care agents can better assist you in a private channel. Options include Twitter’s direct message, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Apple Business Chat, and text messages.
- Be clear about what you want. Have your information ready. That includes your booking or reservation number, your flight number, and your frequent flyer number, if you have one.
- Grow your social presence. Social media team members are trained to spot influencers and those with large followings. A developed profile, with a photo, a bio and a history of tweeting goes a long way.
- Use the airline’s app. If you’re not on Twitter or Facebook, you can try getting in touch with customer service on the airline’s mobile app. The better ones have internal messaging services that are staffed by social care teams.
- Be polite. It’s much easier to work with someone who is kind. These are not bots you are dealing with.
SOURCE: New York Times (11/25/18)