January 29, 2019
Seven things you need to consider before you pick up that bottle...
- Is there an age statement? If there isn’t, the liquid is anywhere between 3 and 9 years old.
- What type of Scotch whiskey is it? There are five different categories of Scottish whisky: Single Malt, Blended Malt, Single Grain, Blended Grain and Blended
- Is there information about maturation?
- Are there tasting notes?
- What is the alcohol strength? Keep in mind that a higher alcohol strength isn’t an indicator of quality.
- Is it artificially colored of chill-filtered? If you have to choose, go artificially colored.
- What region is it from? Scotch whiskey has been marketed as a product that comes from 4-6 different “regions.” This is irrelevant when considering a Scotch whiskey.
SOURCE: Forbes, 12/30/18